5 Tips to Reducing Stress for Mom
These stress reduction tips are great for busy moms but work for all busy humans!
1. Plan Your Day. Take a few minutes to jot down important events or actions that need to happen today. Whether for work, kids, home, family, etc. having a plan reduces the stress of the situation.
- Email James about new client
- Remember! Snack Day for soccer
- Start packing for weekend trip
2. Eat or Drink Something Healthy. This one takes practice and a little planning but is worth it!! Food is your body’s energy source or fuel to get you through the day. When you’re busy it can be so easy to just grab something fast and unhealthy on the go. Planning ahead can help you keep foods that are better for you and your mood on hand. Some great Mood Boosting foods to grab to take on the go:
- Dark Chocolate (70-85% cacao)
- Green Salad (Leafy Greens)
- Greek Yogurt
3. Take a Minute for Self-Care. Moms are notorious for running on fumes. When we exhaust all of our energy stores, we literally have nothing left to give…to work, to friends, or family and kids! Take 30 minutes daily to take a walk, meditate, take a bath, or have a massage.
4. Sleep Well. Stress can make sleep patterns irregular and create horrible moods and add…more stress! Sleep aids in reduction of overactive stress hormones and helps the mind and body repair itself. To help you ease into sleep, try a hot bath, a cup of herbal tea, turning off TV or phones 1 hour before bed, or have a massage to relax the mind and body. Not enough time to get good sleep? Do your best to get 6-9 hours of sleep per night, but if you can’t (deadline or newborn baby?), eat something with healthy fat to support your brain and reduce stress. Try MCT oil, Avocado, Fish Oil (Omegas) or a handful of nuts (Almonds are great on the go). *Caution: Side Effects may include Mental Clarity.
5. Exercise. Yeah, yeah. You knew this would be on the list. Just 5 minutes of exercise and you get a mood enhancement effect from the production of endorphins and dopamine. Obviously working out more than 5 minutes get you better benefits but how much do you need to exercise to get a brain boost? According to the researchers, the sweet spot is right around 30–60 minutes three to five times a week. So, you don’t have to go crazy and work out every day, it’s actually not mentally beneficial after a certain point. Adding in a few days a week will help you reduce stress and keep your mind and body ready to conquer whatever is thrown your way.
For our recommendations on Massage Chairs for stress reduction, check out our Mother’s Day Gift Guide.